How to Polish Wood Floors
Prepping Your Space
- Remove all furniture and belongings in the room. Clear the area. Be cautious when moving large objects and furniture. If possible, use furniture pads to help protect the floor from accidental scratches and gouges.
- Give the floors a good clean. Dust and mop your floors. Make sure the floor is completely dry before applying the polish. For more information on this, read our article on cleaning hardwood floors [link to cleaning article]. If necessary, discreetly test the polish on a small portion of the floor.
- Make sure you have all the right tools. Polishes can be applied with an applicator pad or a high-density foam roller. Check the polish instructions to make sure you have all that you need to finish the job.
Applying the Polish
- Work in small sections. When applying the polish to your hardwood floor, work in small sections to keep the applicator pad/roller wet. Be sure to smooth out the polish along the grain of the wood.
- Use a feathering technique. To avoid stripes of uneven polish on your floor, take a cue from interior painting and feather out the polish so that you have smooth transitions as you move from section to section.
- Plan your exit. Make sure you don’t paint yourself in a corner. Know in advance how you’re going to break up the floor. If possible, have a helper apply polish along the perimeter of the rooms while you follow close behind.
Finishing the Job
Once you’re finished, allow at least one hour for the polish to dry before the floor is exposed to light traffic. The polish should dry completely after 24 hours, making it ready for heavy traffic.
Polishing your hardwood floor is recommended every few months, but this suggestion will vary based on how much foot traffic the floor experiences.
Bona offers floor polishes and tools for hardwood, stone, tile and laminate. Hardwood furniture polish is also available to keep your rooms looking beautiful. Take a look at our selection of polishes to find the right product for you.
Holiday Host Playbook
Bathroom Flooring Guide
Update your bathroom floors and choose the right bathroom flooring option with help from Bona.
Bona’s Quick and Dirty Speed Guide to Super Clean Floors
Care for wood floors fast with our super-fast guide to floor care.